This is part twelve of 'How to choose a mobile home'.
- Manual or automatic?
- What mileage has it done?
- Does it have a log book?
- Is there a hubodometer and an odometer?
- Do the distances match the odometer?
- Does it come with a full service history record?
- Have you done a Car Jam (or other ownership & status) report?
- Is the vehicle subject to Road User Charges?
- Is there a current Warrant of Fitness or Certificate of Fitness?
- Is the Warrant/Certificate of Electrical Fitness current?
- Has a Self Containment Certificate been issued? For how many people?
- What is the construction material? Strong? Durable?
- Are there any surface dents, scratches, or damage?
- Can you see any surface rust?
- Is the paint work sound, chipping or peeling? (Check the roof)
- What is it's tare weight? Gross laden weight?
- Is the motor easily accessible for repairs and maintenance or does it require using a shop hoist?
- What exterior lights does it have? Driving? Daylight driving lights? Door / awning?
- How easy is it to level? Can it be leveled? Does it have an on-board level or do you need to pack your own?
- Is there a fixed ladder up to roof for access for cleaning and maintenance of appliances? Is the roof robust enough to be used as a deck?
- Insulated? Where and how much? Polystyrene, wool, polyester?
- Windows double-glazed? Acrylic or glass?
- Is there a burglar alarm? Or a GPS location device?
- What is the cabinetry made out of? Is it durable? eg wood vs melteca; s/s vs formica, or even fibreglass.
- Do I like the decor? Do I get the feeling that I am home and comfortable? [This may seem a little fickle but there is nothing worse that living longer-term with colours and designs that are not beautiful to you if you can't change them. ]
Probably the most over-looked question but one I know has caused many a sleepless night because it wasn't asked pre-purchase:
- Do I have somewhere to park or store this vehicle after purchase?