After months and months of scouring Trademe and NZMCD, we have some helpful advice to pass onto sellers that will make it faster, easier and more likely that a buyer will purchase your motorhome / caravan / bus / truck.
In fact, we've compiled this into a prompt list below, so that you can simply replace the information that is relevant to your mobile home and post your listing. ie a caravan won't have seat belts but a motorhome will - use your common sense!
When making a purchasing decision of value, people will often subconsciously stop if they encounter a barrier or something that they do not know. Providing as much detail as possible gives the buyer the power to make the right choice for them. It's a win-win situation.
- Brand & model
- Year & country of manufacture
- Whether imported and when
- License plate
- Odometer reading
- WOF or COF & whether current
- Gross vehicle mass & class of driver's license required (if other than class 1)
- Length and height (note with a caravan it is useful to detail the overall length from towball to rear as well as from front to back of caravan housing)
- Category for road user charges; and how many km unused
- Type of engine & fuel
- Brand & type of gearbox (manual or automatic)
- Air brakes?
- Does it have a towball to tow another vehicle? If so, what weight can it pull - unbraked and braked?
- Number of seatbelts (lap or angle?), and positions
- Berths (number of beds there are) - permanent or night-only
- Self contained for how many people?
- Mains only?
- Inverter / charger?
- Number of house batteries and amperage | Isolating switch to motor?
- Battery monitors?
- Carbon monoxide / gas detectors
- Warrant of Electrical Fitness date?
LOOK & LAYOUT:
- Post lots of photos
- Colours inside / outside (you may think these are self-evident from the photos but often they are not)
- Layout (if possible sketch a floor plan - this really does help)
- Type of window, floor & wall coverings
- Headroom ie height from floor to ceiling
- Entry door on left or right side
- Size of fridge / freezer and what power sources it runs on
- Number of burners on stove or cooktop
- Grill / full oven
- Other electrical appliances?
- Water filter?
- Does each bed have a light? Shelf? Power point?
- Doors that close off sleeping area?
- Shower / bath / shub
- Extraction fan
- Type of toilet | Number of cassettes
- Fresh, grey and black water capacities
- Monitors for water?
- Method of water heating
- Washing machine?
- Freeview box?
- Stereo / dvd player?
- What type of extra storage there is inside and out. Try to give an idea of size by either dimensions or what you have had stored in there ie 2 external lockers 1.2m long x 0.7 deep and 0.6m tall each side in front of the rear wheels - where we've had a folding trestle table, chairs, wheel blocks, tool kit and motorhome washing equipment
- Awning? Ceiling and sides? Size? Extra features like 2 rooms, mesh screens, double doors etc
- Anything extra that is new / modified / different
- External shower or bbq?
- Reversing camera?
- Special side vision mirrors & over-riders / stabilisers perhaps for a caravan?
If you have a current listing and potential buyers are contacting you with the same questions about your vehicle, add those answers to your main listing. This will save you time in the long run.
Buyers, use the above as a checklist for the vehicles you are researching. We've often compared 2 vehicles in a table/spreadsheet this way and it is VERY, VERY USEFUL to be able to compare one vehicle directly to another.