Arriving in New Zealand with an overseas drivers license will allow you to drive for up to 12 months.
After which you will need to present to a testing agent with the appropriate documentation, medical checks and licensing fee to convert your license to a New Zealand one. Sometimes you may have to sit the theory and practical driving tests too.
A quick-start guide to driving here (pdf) might look like:
- Wear your seatbelt.
- Carry your license at all times while driving.
- Keep left.
- 50km/h maximum speed around town.
- Up to 100km/h maximum speed with good conditions on the open road.
- Indicate for 3 seconds before moving left or right.
- Red traffic light means STOP, orange means get ready to stop, green means GO.