This is part four of 'How to choose a mobile home'.
- Is your mobile home for Christmas holidays and long weekends in a camping ground on the beach?
- Going to be parked in your friend's yard?
- At a conference facility?
- Do you have the Department of Conservation (DOC) sites in your target?
- Or are you thinking of freedom camping in the middle of nowhere?
- Will you be using 'Park over properties' (POPs) ?
- Parking up in private commercial carparks?
What facilities are included where you are going?
Is there water? A hose to use for refilling?
- A dump station?
- Kitchen? BBQ area?
- Bathroom? Toilets? Showers? Outdoor shower?
- Lounge? Games room? Recreational room? Conference room?
- Board game or dvd hire?
- Laundry facilities? Drying room?
- Pool? Games courts?
- Playground? Trampolines?
- Sports equipment or bicycles for hire?
- Daily paper / milk delivery?
- Can we get fishing bait and tackle? Hire rods, reels and lines?
- Grocery store or canteen?
- Are there eating establishments close by?
- What, if anything, is coin-operated?
- Is there extra accommodation to rent ie cabin, motel unit ?
- Is there a visitors carpark? Do we pay extra per passenger vehicle on the site?
- Can we pitch a tent as well?
- How big is the site?
- How close are the facilites to where we are?
- Is there a space for the awning / sun shade / slide-out or not?
- Do they have WIFI?
- Secretarial services like photocopying / scanning / faxing etc?
- Pay phone?
- Linen hire?
- Rubbish and recycling centres?
- Do they provide a vehicle washing area?
No surprises here but our destination summary never-the-less:
Our biggest desire is to be fully self-contained; to be fully free to stop wherever whenever and do more than just cope, whether that is someone's driveway, a park over property, a freedom camping spot or a carpark - wherever we can stay for next to nothing. So the more that we have onboard the better. We could probably do without some of the facilities but that would keep us more suburban and there would be a balance between convenience and cost.
For example if we were to stay 365 days on a powered site at our local Top 10 camping ground with these comprehensive facilities it would cost us $44520 (without a long-term discount if it applied). That sort of money, in my mind, would be better spent on a vehicle with our own facilities and perhaps even a few luxuries!