So how does one start the process of considering a vagabond lifestyle with a largish family?
What we have done predominantly so far, is make lists. Ok, so it's me that's started them off!
- What are our reasons for doing this tour? What goals might we have along the way (ie intellectually, physically, socially, spiritually etc)? Who do we want to be?
- What would each of us take? Clothing and other possessions. What extra equipment have other family's found useful?
- Where do we want to go? What do we want to experience?
- What has to happen before we leave? Ie house repairs, cessation of services, insurances, business exit strategy etc
- What was our budget for the last 12 months? What could it be for the next 12 months?
- What could we do to earn a satisfactory living whilst location independent – immediately, short term (3-6 months) and longer term (12 months)? How will we access the internet?
- What amenities / services / shops etc do we need to know where they are, in each place we go to in order for the family needs and our experience objectives to be met?
While all this may seem onerous to some, it helps me get things out of my head and clears the way for the next 'thought' to enter.
Lists are also a great way of others seeing what you are thinking, becoming involved and adding their perspective too.
Write out what your perfect life would be like.